2007年6月26日火曜日

How to be a successful English teacher at Jr. high school

Last Thursday, Mr. Maruhashi came to our class and gave a speech about Jr. high scool teacher and English education. He talked about teacher's job, the present condition of Jr. high school student, teacher and education, and I learned a lot from his speech. The following 2 points were my main impression.


1.He talked about school bullying and he said that it is not enough to pity people who are bullied and we need deal with it from neutral position as a teacher. I hadn't thought like that and it told me a necessity to think about school bullying more deeply. When I was a Jr. school student, there were few bullyings in my school. However it is a common incident now, so the present condition of Jr. high school is changing and we have to receive and cope with it.

2.He talked about how should we make a teaching plan and it should be made not for teacher but for students. Only logical explanation is not enough for them to understand and they need easy and interesting explanation which they can understand. I think this is the most important thing to make teaching plan but I'm lacking this ability and I have to acquire it. He also said that teachers need English knowledge (grammar, pronunciation, etc...) and I have to study harder to get it.


After his speech, I realized what I need to be a successful English teacher. I think, as an English teacher, we need to think of students when we make teaching plan and we must have many kinds of experiences, then it will become our practices and we can learn from them.
In my practice teaching this summer I want to make use of what I learned from his speech.

Thank you for your reading!

1 件のコメント:

JH さんのコメント...

Naojin,
Your post was very well written and I learned a lot from reading the important points from Maruhashi sensei's speech that you mentioned.
JH